Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Greg Shtraks

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, how my parents were occupied before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. What I will tell you is that the stories of breadlines that you heard about the Soviet Union in the 1980’s were entirely true, but it didn’t prevent my mother from cooking up fantastic dinners using only cabbage, beets, sardines, black bread, and caviar. Those were my Communist days. I’ve been in my Langolier phase ever since. Whether in Montclair, New Jersey, Washington DC, or Shenzhen, China, I’ve always endeavored to find and sample the finest and most unique cuisine. Whether it be cockroach, rocky mountain oysters, kangaroo tail soup, dog, ostrich, or even the occasional grasshopper – nothing has escaped the jaws of the Langolier. I am now a second year grad student at the Elliott School and hope that you enjoy reading of the escapades that I embark upon with my partner, the lovely Canadian Connoisseur, as we prowl through Washington in search of a meal that is ethnically provocative, stimulating to the palate, and compassionate to the wallet.

No comments: